We wanted to share with our clients some thoughts about how you can reduce legal fees. Please share this list with all of your administrators who may be working with our firm on legal matters.
1. Save up your questions and/or information so that you can discuss several issues during one phone call rather than in a series of phone calls.
2. Make notes about the matter you wish to discuss and have files and background information readily available for reference during the phone conversation.
3. Review collective bargaining agreements and/or board policies before phoning your attorney. The information you need may be there.
4. During the conversation, make notes of the answer or advice so that you will have them for future reference. Often the same question which was answered arises weeks or months later.
5. Prepare a detailed memo to e-mail to your attorney. This will save billable time since your attorney will not need to make detailed notes of the facts or issues.
6. Number the paragraphs. This will make it easier to locate the matter you wish to discuss.
7. Make sure you have everything that will be needed to discuss the matter with your attorney.
8. Make copies of documents for your attorney prior to the conference. Fax or e-mail relevant documents prior to a phone conference.
9. Your attorney will usually ask you “What happened?” Save time by preparing a written chronology of facts prior to the meeting.
10. If the attorney needs to speak to prospective witnesses, make sure they will be available.
As your legal counsel, we always strive to make the best use of your time. Please free to let us know if you need any assistance.